I’ve been incommunicado for several days now, and I’d like to tell you why. I’m on the East Coast, as we speak. A few weeks ago I received an invitation to go to New York to be interviewed on ABC’s new show, The Revolution, for their “My Revolution” segment. Encouraged and supported by Second Wind’s publisher, Seal Press, I flew out of Seattle and landed in New York last Wednesday.

The show was a blast. Makeup and hair by Maria and Giselle… then a pre-interview by Kim… Sasha for making sure I was where I needed to be when I was supposed to be there… and then a glorious moment of TV fame (watch on May 1 if you want to catch the interview).

Because everything happened so quickly, I was not as organized as I like to be when I travel. Thankfully, friends on the East Coast pitched in to make my travels easier and happier. Stacy and Mark offered to house me during my hectic schedule; my wonderful agent, Pamela, dined me and helped me navigate the city; and Jason and Mike, old friends (though not really any older than I), delighted me with their company.

And then it was time to move on. Since I was already on the East Coast, I felt it only made sense to come visit my friend, author and used book store owner, Wendy Welch. For four consecutive years I’ve made my way to Big Stone Gap, Virginia for a little time with Wendy and her husband Jack. Often, we spend a few days at her cabin in the woods in Tennessee, writing and sipping on marginal wine while we catch one another up on our lives. I was looking forward to seeing her for my fifth annual visit. But first I had to get to her.

Please don’t ask me why I chose the Greyhound Bus; it’s a long story having to do with the cost of airfare and the location of possible destination airports in relation to Wendy’s house and Wendy’s busy schedule and the departure times of potential flights. When all had been researched and mulled over, the Greyhound seemed like the best option—even though it meant sixteen hours of traveling. And please don’t ask me to tell you about the nasty bus driver who refused to open the luggage compartment on the bus where my suitcase sat waiting to be rescued and how I finally had to feign calling his supervisor in order to get him to comply with my request to let me retrieve my bag.

Instead let me tell you about the delightful young fellow who sat beside me most of the trip whom I quickly discovered was from Riberao Preto, the very city Bill’s Brazilian family lives in (what are the chances?)! Leandro was only 28, but he was a published author, a PhD candidate, interesting to talk to, and extremely cute to boot. The first part of my bus ride flew by as we shared some cheap Pinot Grigio (because Leandro said, “I do not know much about wine, but I do know that you should not drink it alone”) and talked about Brazil.

I finally arrived in Virginia on Saturday at about 3pm, grateful to no longer be rolling on wheels and looking forward to a good night’s sleep and a trip out to the cabin—which is where I am now.


Wendy is putting the finishing touches on her book (available on Amazon for pre-order) and I’m looking over the draft of the novel I wrote during November’s NaNoWriMo last year. It’s good to get away (although I’ve been loathe not to be able to check facebook and find out how Boston went for all my pals—I hope it was a good experience and that you made it through what I understand was a very warm morning).

More later when I’m back in the Northwest. Love to all.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This